Tuesday, December 8, 2009

sabbath for my soul

A few weeks ago a very dear friend gave me a Steven Curtis Chapman cd. He wrote and recorded these songs after his sweet daughter had been welcomed into our Lord's loving arms. I have been listening to it a lot lately. One because I am not really into the Christmas music on the radio, but primarily because it brings me so much hope. And right now...today....that is what I hold on to. It is amazing how much better my day goes when I am able to be hopeful rather than hopeless. I don't know if it is a decision I have to make everyday or if there are days that I am just too broken down to have enough hope....but today I have it.
Another friend told me that she has read that God provides times of rest in the middle of difficult times and that it is ok and good for us to enjoy the "sabbath of our souls." We should soak in these times because they give us strength to continue on the journey. Oh how true. I am completely aware of these days...in fact, I think I could identify each of them. They seem to be few and far between, but a true blessing. So while, today has been hard, it has been a "sabbath for my soul" and I am ever so thankful! Thankful for a moment to breathe, thankful for friends who refuse to let us fall into our grief, and thankful for a God that remains faithful. Even when we think otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. Praying you and Ryan continue to experience more frequent "sabbath of our(your) souls." I pray you are able to place your worries, anxiety, and grief at the cross each day. It is too much to carry yourself..."Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."Matthew 11:25-30
    love you, sis

    ReplyDelete